PDA

View Full Version : Freeman Dysons scepsis

Stratcat
10 maart 2008, 15:12
My first heresy says that all the fuss about global warming is grossly exaggerated. Here I am opposing the holy brotherhood of climate model experts and the crowd of deluded citizens who believe the numbers predicted by the computer models. Of course, they say, I have no degree in meteorology and I am therefore not qualified to speak. But I have studied the climate models and I know what they can do. The models solve the equations of fluid dynamics, and they do a very good job of describing the fluid motions of the atmosphere and the oceans. They do a very poor job of describing the clouds, the dust, the chemistry and the biology of fields and farms and forests. They do not begin to describe the real world that we live in. The real world is muddy and messy and full of things that we do not yet understand. It is much easier for a scientist to sit in an air-conditioned building and run computer models, than to put on winter clothes and measure what is really happening outside in the swamps and the clouds. That is why the climate model experts end up believing their own models.

HERETICAL THOUGHTS ABOUT SCIENCE AND SOCIETY [8.8.07]
By Freeman Dyson

FREEMAN DYSON is professor of physics at the Institute for Advanced Study, in Princeton. His professional interests are in mathematics and astronomy. Among his many books are Disturbing the Universe, Infinite in All Directions Origins of Life, From Eros to Gaia, Imagined Worlds, and The Sun, the Genome, and the Internet. His most recent book, Many Colored Glass: Reflections on the Place of Life in the Universe (Page Barbour Lectures), is being published this month by University of Virgina Press.

Volledige tekst op
http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/dysonf07/dysonf07_index.html

Stratcat
10 maart 2008, 17:30
Een paar uittreksels

In the modern world, science and society often interact in a perverse way. We live in a technological society, and technology causes political problems. The politicians and the public expect science to provide answers to the problems. Scientific experts are paid and encouraged to provide answers. The public does not have much use for a scientist who says, “Sorry, but we don’t know”. The public prefers to listen to scientists who give confident answers to questions and make confident predictions of what will happen as a result of human activities. So it happens that the experts who talk publicly about politically contentious questions tend to speak more clearly than they think. They make confident predictions about the future, and end up believing their own predictions. Their predictions become dogmas which they do not question. The public is led to believe that the fashionable scientific dogmas are true, and it may sometimes happen that they are wrong. That is why heretics who question the dogmas are needed.

As a scientist I do not have much faith in predictions. Science is organized unpredictability. The best scientists like to arrange things in an experiment to be as unpredictable as possible, and then they do the experiment to see what will happen. You might say that if something is predictable then it is not science. When I make predictions, I am not speaking as a scientist. I am speaking as a story-teller, and my predictions are science-fiction rather than science. The predictions of science-fiction writers are notoriously inaccurate. Their purpose is to imagine what might happen rather than to describe what will happen. I will be telling stories that challenge the prevailing dogmas of today. The prevailing dogmas may be right, but they still need to be challenged. I am proud to be a heretic. The world always needs heretics to challenge the prevailing orthodoxies. Since I am heretic, I am accustomed to being in the minority. If I could persuade everyone to agree with me, I would not be a heretic. I conclude from this calculation that the problem of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is a problem of land management, not a problem of meteorology. No computer model of atmosphere and ocean can hope to predict the way we shall manage our land.
Another problem that has to be taken seriously is a slow rise of sea level which could become catastrophic if it continues to accelerate. We have accurate measurements of sea level going back two hundred years. We observe a steady rise from 1800 to the present, with an acceleration during the last fifty years. It is widely believed that the recent acceleration is due to human activities, since it coincides in time with the rapid increase of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. But the rise from 1800 to 1900 was probably not due to human activities. The scale of industrial activities in the nineteenth century was not large enough to have had measurable global effects. So a large part of the observed rise in sea level must have other causes. One possible cause is a slow readjustment of the shape of the earth to the disappearance of the northern ice-sheets at the end of the ice age twelve thousand years ago. Another possible cause is the large-scale melting of glaciers, which also began long before human influences on climate became significant. Once again, we have an environmental danger whose magnitude cannot be predicted until we know more about its causes, [Munk, 2002]. When I listen to the public debates about climate change, I am impressed by the enormous gaps in our knowledge, the sparseness of our observations and the superficiality of our theories. Many of the basic processes of planetary ecology are poorly understood. They must be better understood before we can reach an accurate diagnosis of the present condition of our planet. When we are trying to take care of a planet, just as when we are taking care of a human patient, diseases must be diagnosed before they can be cured. We need to observe and measure what is going on in the biosphere, rather than relying on computer models.
The biosphere is the most complicated of all the things we humans have to deal with. The science of planetary ecology is still young and undeveloped. It is not surprising that honest and well-informed experts can disagree about facts. But beyond the disagreement about facts, there is another deeper disagreement about values. The disagreement about values may be described in an over-simplified way as a disagreement between naturalists and humanists. Naturalists believe that nature knows best. For them the highest value is to respect the natural order of things. Any gross human disruption of the natural environment is evil. Excessive burning of fossil fuels is evil. Changing nature’s desert, either the Sahara desert or the ocean desert, into a managed ecosystem where giraffes or tunafish may flourish, is likewise evil. Nature knows best, and anything we do to improve upon Nature will only bring trouble.

The humanist ethic begins with the belief that humans are an essential part of nature. Through human minds the biosphere has acquired the capacity to steer its own evolution, and now we are in charge. Humans have the right and the duty to reconstruct nature so that humans and biosphere can both survive and prosper. For humanists, the highest value is harmonious coexistence between humans and nature. The greatest evils are poverty, underdevelopment, unemployment, disease and hunger, all the conditions that deprive people of opportunities and limit their freedoms. The humanist ethic accepts an increase of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere as a small price to pay, if world-wide industrial development can alleviate the miseries of the poorer half of humanity. The humanist ethic accepts our responsibility to guide the evolution of the planet.

The sharpest conflict between naturalist and humanist ethics arises in the regulation of genetic engineering. The naturalist ethic condemns genetically modified food-crops and all other genetic engineering projects that might upset the natural ecology. The humanist ethic looks forward to a time not far distant, when genetically engineered food-crops and energy-crops will bring wealth to poor people in tropical countries, and incidentally give us tools to control the growth of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. Here I must confess my own bias. Since I was born and brought up in England, I spent my formative years in a land with great beauty and a rich ecology which is almost entirely man-made. The natural ecology of England was uninterrupted and rather boring forest. Humans replaced the forest with an artificial landscape of grassland and moorland, fields and farms, with a much richer variety of plant and animal species. Quite recently, only about a thousand years ago, we introduced rabbits, a non-native species which had a profound effect on the ecology. Rabbits opened glades in the forest where flowering plants now flourish. There is no wilderness in England, and yet there is plenty of room for wild-flowers and birds and butterflies as well as a high density of humans. Perhaps that is why I am a humanist.

Akke
10 maart 2008, 21:37
The greatest evils are poverty, underdevelopment, unemployment, disease and hunger, all the conditions that deprive people of opportunities and limit their freedoms. The humanist ethic accepts an increase of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere as a small price to pay, if world-wide industrial development can alleviate the miseries of the poorer half of humanity. The humanist ethic accepts our responsibility to guide the evolution of the planet.

En laat global change nu net ook die dingen (ondervoeding, watergebrek, ziekten enz.) dreigen te verergeren...

Deze man zwelgt in zijn eigen ideëen, maar zijn filosofische ideetjes vallen uiteraard uit elkaar door zijn falikante gebrek aan kennis terzake. Hoe kun je nu zoiets zeggen als 'small price to pay' als je duidelijk geen weet hebt van de potentiële gevolgen?

Percalion
10 maart 2008, 22:31
En laat global change nu net ook die dingen (ondervoeding, watergebrek, ziekten enz.) dreigen te verergeren...

Deze man zwelgt in zijn eigen ideëen, maar zijn filosofische ideetjes vallen uiteraard uit elkaar door zijn falikante gebrek aan kennis terzake. Hoe kun je nu zoiets zeggen als 'small price to pay' als je duidelijk geen weet hebt van de potentiële gevolgen?

Kom zeg, alsof ook maar één groene jongen zou beseffen wat de economische gevolgen zijn van de maatregelen die hij voorstelt.

En ja, die sneer geldt ook voor Stern en zijn flutrapport.

Jantje
10 maart 2008, 22:42
Kom zeg, alsof ook maar één groene jongen zou beseffen wat de economische gevolgen zijn van de maatregelen die hij voorstelt.

Er zijn weldeglijke echte groene jongens en meisjes die weten watde gevolgen zijn van hun voorstellen.

En sommige voorstellen zijn economisch zelfs heel rendabel.

Pieke
10 maart 2008, 22:51

Lovelock natuurlijk:

(...)expects "about 80%" of the world's population to be wiped out by 2100. Prophets have been foretelling Armageddon since time began, he says. "But this is the real thing."

je bent in goed gezelschap

jules
10 maart 2008, 23:01

al vanaf de tijd van allervroegste milieu-maatregelen gillen de econoompjes dat dat de nekslag betekent voor de economie.
Nog niks van gemerkt anders :roll:

Zeg, was jij niet een van Dun adeptje, zo ééntje dat dommigheidjes debiteert als "de overheid is de grootste milieu-vervuiler" ?
If so, schotel je hem mijn antwoord op zijn eerste rampzalige schrijfseltje eens voor ?
Dank je

Stratcat
10 maart 2008, 23:15

Of course, they say, I have no degree in meteorology and I am therefore not qualified to speak. But I have studied the climate models and I know what they can do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeman_Dyson#The_role_of_failure

Dyson also did work in a variety of topics in mathematics, such as topology, analysis, number theory and random matrices.[8]

AdrianHealey
10 maart 2008, 23:32
al vanaf de tijd van allervroegste milieu-maatregelen gillen de econoompjes dat dat de nekslag betekent voor de economie.

Ik kan er ook niet doen dat jij al 20 jaar ofzo onder een steen woont.

Zeg, was jij niet een van Dun adeptje, zo ééntje dat dommigheidjes debiteert als "de overheid is de grootste milieu-vervuiler" ?
If so, schotel je hem mijn antwoord op zijn eerste rampzalige schrijfseltje eens voor ?
Dank je

Dat kan je toch zelf? Zijn emailadres is bereikbaar op zijn website.
Of - laat maar - dat doe je toch niet. Daar heb je ballen voor nodig. :)

Maar euhm, ga je nu ontkennen dat de overheid inderdaad al vervuild heeft - USSR bestaat niet? - en dat ze dat nog steeds doet door ingewikkelde - dus ontwijkbare - milieuwetgeving?

Enfin, in de VS kwamen ze met de 'clean air act', waardoor de vervuiling steeg. :lol:
Ze hadden in die act genomen dat de huidige zuiveringsinstallaties dé maatstaf moesten zijn, waardoor ze tegelijkertijd elke mogelijke vorm van innocatie hebben genekt en dat bedrijven a volonté mochten vervuilen, zolang ze maar dié bepaalde zuiveringsinstallaties hadden - elke mogelijk incentive voor innovatie was compleet weg.

Of wacht - ik verzin dit natuurlijk. ;)

jules
10 maart 2008, 23:44
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeman_Dyson#The_role_of_failure

Michael Tobis geeft enkele bedenkingen :
(blauw is Dyson, zwart = Tobin)

PART I Paragraph 2

The models solve the equations of fluid dynamics, and they do a very good job of describing the fluid motions of the atmosphere and the oceans. They do a very poor job of describing the clouds, the dust, the chemistry and the biology of fields and farms and forests. They do not begin to describe the real world that we live in. The real world is muddy and messy and full of things that we do not yet understand. It is much easier for a scientist to sit in an air-conditioned building and run computer models, than to put on winter clothes and measure what is really happening outside in the swamps and the clouds.

Sure...

That is why the climate model experts end up believing their own models.

Um, I must have missed a step here... In fact climate model experts do not particularly "believe" models. Our skepticism is informed and consequently rather complex. Do we believe this, did we capture that... So here Dyson is completely off base.

Paragraph 3

the warming is not global

This is just confusion.

Paragraph 4

The number that I ask you to remember is the increase in thickness, averaged over one half of the land area of the planet, of the biomass that would result if all the carbon that we are emitting by burning fossil fuels were absorbed. The average increase in thickness is one hundredth of an inch per year.

Per YEAR!!! On every piece of viable land, under economic use or otherwise... He certainly identifies a viable carbon sequestration sink, but the idea of an inch of graphite per century being redistributed on all land everywhere in soil restructuring is hardly a trivial matter to handwave away.

Anway, notice he is already wandering away from climate modeling and has said very little about it.

Paragraph 5

Changes in farming practices such as no-till farming, avoiding the use of the plow, cause biomass to grow at least as fast as this. If we plant crops without plowing the soil, more of the biomass goes into roots which stay in the soil, and less returns to the atmosphere. If we use genetic engineering to put more biomass into roots, we can probably achieve much more rapid growth of topsoil. I conclude from this calculation that the problem of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is a problem of land management, not a problem of meteorology.

Well, it certainly isn't an EASY problem in land management. However, I agree with Dyson that the focus on meteorology is misplaced in the mitigation arguments. Climate science is crucial on the adaptation side, but all the focus on it on the mitigation side is a red herring and a vicious one.

What Dyson is proposing here seems at first blush unrealistic to me. Of course I'm always hopeful when a mitigation startegy is proposed that doesn't involve too much disruption. I don't know if he's talked to soil experts or agronomists. What it is, is a very coarse approach to a mitigation strategy.

Let's be pleased, at least, that Dyson acknowledges a problem of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.

Paragraph 7

When I listen to the public debates about climate change, I am impressed by the enormous gaps in our knowledge, the sparseness of our observations and the superficiality of our theories. Many of the basic processes of planetary ecology are poorly understood. They must be better understood before we can reach an accurate diagnosis of the present condition of our planet.

Well, the topic has suddenly lurched to ecology. This has little to do with climatology. I think I can say that ecologists I know would tend to agree with this, but it has nothing to do with what is normally charitably described as "anthropogenic global warming skepticism". That's not the disturbing part, though. This is:

When we are trying to take care of a planet, just as when we are taking care of a human patient, diseases must be diagnosed before they can be cured.

Yikes! So should the patient keep ingesting the toxin meanwhile?

PART III Paragraph 3

If human activities were not disturbing the climate, a new ice-age might already have begun.

Maybe so.

We do not know how to answer the most important question: do our human activities in general, and our burning of fossil fuels in particular, make the onset of the next ice-age more likely or less likely?

Nonsense. (He wheels out the usual misinterpretation of Broecker's ocean-driven change scenario, but no scientist is expecting any ocean circulation changes to overwhelm the huge warming and kick off an ice age.) This is simply a layman's mistake and totally out of line with the evidence. Here he is simply substantively wrong, and repeating a common misconception.

PART IV Paragraph 2

First, if the increase of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is allowed to continue, shall we arrive at a climate similar to the climate of six thousand years ago when the Sahara was wet? Second, if we could choose between the climate of today with a dry Sahara and the climate of six thousand years ago with a wet Sahara, should we prefer the climate of today? My second heresy answers yes to the first question and no to the second. It says that the warm climate of six thousand years ago with the wet Sahara is to be preferred, and that increasing carbon dioxide in the atmosphere may help to bring it back. I am not saying that this heresy is true. I am only saying that it will not do us any harm to think about it.

It does no harm to think about it, but it can do a great deal of harm for a celebrated person to speculate in an uninformed and incorrect way. We are changing the overall forcing of the system much more than the shift from 6000 years ago to today. The extent to which this is the case is quantifiable.

Essentially the natural shifts on that time scale amount to moving solar input from one season to another. The climate system responds in interesting ways, ways which, by the way, are replicated by climate models operating from first principles.

Our present forcing operates at all latitudes in the same direction. The system cannot respond identically. Humans are focussed on climate at the surface, but physics cares about the entire depth of the atmosphere; surface conditions are an important but not a dominant component. We cannot replicate a prior natural climate with an atmosphere whose radiatively active components are different than those seen in nature.

The idea that we will drift smoothly into and settle down to a lusher more convenient climate is a fantasy and a rather stupid one. Yes, a blundering near unconscious drunk could, in fact, blunder into a wonderful jet-setters party and be celebrated for his wit and plied with champagne and caviar. This is no reason for him not to sit down and recover his wits; the champagne thing is rather a long shot.

Stratcat
11 maart 2008, 14:15
Michael Tobis geeft enkele bedenkingen :
(blauw is Dyson, zwart = Tobin)

OK, bedankt.

Sjaax
11 maart 2008, 16:17
The idea that we will drift smoothly into and settle down to a lusher more convenient climate is a fantasy and a rather stupid one. Yes, a blundering near unconscious drunk could, in fact, blunder into a wonderful jet-setters party and be celebrated for his wit and plied with champagne and caviar. Waarom zou een klimaatverandering niet gunstig kunnen uitvallen? De argumentatie van Tobin met zijn dronkelap is niet erg to the point om het mild uit te drukken.
Kanstheoretisch zou, als je 10 verschillende toekomstscenario’s opstelt, er ook tussen moeten zitten die een aangenamer klimaat voorspellen.

Zwitser
13 maart 2008, 19:33

Het is vooral de combinatie van armoede en klimaatverandering die voor miserie zorgt. We kunnen dat probleem oplossen door ofwel iets aan de armoede te doen, of door iets aan de kllimaatverandering te doen.

De kans dat we echter succesvol iets aan de klimaatsverandering doen is echter erg klein. Vrijwel geen enkel land dat het Kyoto protocol ondertekend heeft gaat zijn Kyoto doelstellingen halen. En Kyoto is verre van genoeg om zelfs maar een meetbare effect op het klimaat te hebben. Proberen de klimaatsverandering tegen te houden is een heel erg dure grap, met weinig kans op slagen.

Ik denk dat successvol iets aan de armoede doen meer kans van slagen heeft, vooral gezien de economische ontwikkeling die China en India op dit moment door maakt.

Sjaax
15 maart 2008, 17:51
Kanstheoretisch zou, als je 10 verschillende toekomstscenario’s opstelt, er ook tussen moeten zitten die een aangenamer klimaat voorspellen.Eigenlijk ben ik wel benieuwd wie er een reactie op wil geven.

Groentje-18
15 maart 2008, 18:48
Eigenlijk ben ik wel benieuwd wie er een reactie op wil geven.

Wat is aangenaam voor u?
Is dat ook aangenaam voor uw buur?

Wat men weet is dat het globaal gezien warmer zal worden. En dat een globale stijging van de temperatuur betekent dat er een zowat kwadratering (?? ik weet het precieze cijfer niet meer. Ik heb het opgegeven me voortdurend over de materie bij te scholen want ik zal daardoor niet eens 0.01% worden van wat een academicus op dit gebied weet) van het aantal natuurrampen gebeurd. En zoals het woord al zegt kan je dat moeilijk aangenamer noemen.
Tenzij je het leuk vindt dat jij even kan genieten van een provençe-achtig klimaat terwijl ze aan de andere kant van de wereld verdrinken, water- en voedseltekort ervaren, door diezelfde klimaatverandering.

AdrianHealey
16 maart 2008, 20:06
[quote]En dat een globale stijging van de temperatuur betekent dat er een zowat kwadratering van het aantal natuurrampen gebeurd.[quote]

Die 'betekent', hoe komt die daar?
Door een model?

Percalion
16 maart 2008, 21:49

Dank je

Kan ik dat hier ergens vinden?

jules
16 maart 2008, 22:39
Ik kan er ook niet doen dat jij al 20 jaar ofzo onder een steen woont.
die van het toegepast milieu-onderzoek, waarbij ik weet hoeveel winst ik bedrijven al heb opgeleverd.

Maar bon, jij hebt ongetwijfeld cijfers die aantonen dat alle volk dat in de milieu-sector werkt en daarbij vaak innovatieve toepassingen PRODUCEERT funest is voor de economie ?

Dat kan je toch zelf? Zijn emailadres is bereikbaar op zijn website.
Of - laat maar - dat doe je toch niet. Daar heb je ballen voor nodig. :)
*gaap*

Maar euhm, ga je nu ontkennen dat de overheid inderdaad al vervuild heeft - USSR bestaat niet? - en dat ze dat nog steeds doet door ingewikkelde - dus ontwijkbare - milieuwetgeving?
dat komt neer op appelen met citroenen vergelijken.
Tenzij je er zo ééntje bent die wil beweren dat de USSR een democratisch paradijs was waar zowel economie als burger tonnen keuzevrijheden te over hadden ?

Enfin, in de VS kwamen ze met de 'clean air act', waardoor de vervuiling steeg. :lol:
de CAA heeft tot een opmerkelijke daling geleid voor de uitstoot voor een aantal van de belangrijkste polluenten, hierbij het voorbeeld voor SO2 dat toen erg in het nieuws was wegens zure regen
http://www.ldesign.com/Images/Essays/GlobalWarming/PartEU/USSO2Emissions.jpg

Ze hadden in die act genomen dat de huidige zuiveringsinstallaties dé maatstaf moesten zijn, waardoor ze tegelijkertijd elke mogelijke vorm van innocatie hebben genekt en dat bedrijven a volonté mochten vervuilen, zolang ze maar dié bepaalde zuiveringsinstallaties hadden - elke mogelijk incentive voor innovatie was compleet weg.

Of wacht - ik verzin dit natuurlijk. ;)

goh laten we eens meelezen en kijken of die act elke vorm voor innovatie fnuikte :

The U.S. was determined to promote environmental policies against pollution. In 1970, the job of environmental administration was transferred to the newly established Environmental Protection Agency (later upgraded to a Department, now the EPA) from the Department of Health, Education and Welfare (HEW). Concurrently, Senator Edwin Muskie submitted his clean-air bill---known as the Muskie Bill---to Congress. It was a major revision of the existing Clean Air Act, and its standards were more stringent than ever before. It stipulated that automobiles made in 1975 and thereafter should emit one-tenth the level of CO (carbon monoxide) and HC (hydrocarbons) compared to current models, while models 1976 and later should also emit one-tenth the level of NOx (nitrogen oxides). It was going to be challenge. In fact, the world’s automakers maintained that it would be almost impossible to meet such strict standards. Undaunted by the industry’s complaints, Congress passed the 1970 Clean Air Act on December 31, 1970.
duidelijk voorbeeld hoe de CAA innovatie stimuleerde.
Die passage komt overigens niet van een of ander milieu-site, maar van auto-fabrikant Honda

Percalion
16 maart 2008, 22:49
Kan ik dat hier ergens vinden?

Laat maar, ik heb het al gevonden intussen.

Zwitser
17 maart 2008, 19:59
Wat men weet is dat het globaal gezien warmer zal worden. En dat een globale stijging van de temperatuur betekent dat er een zowat kwadratering (?? ik weet het precieze cijfer niet meer. Ik heb het opgegeven me voortdurend over de materie bij te scholen want ik zal daardoor niet eens 0.01% worden van wat een academicus op dit gebied weet) van het aantal natuurrampen gebeurd. En zoals het woord al zegt kan je dat moeilijk aangenamer noemen.

Wat de invloed van de klimaatsverandering op extreem weer betekend daar zijn de meningen verdeeld over. Het laatste IPCC raport zelf doet hier ook erg vaag over, en spreekt bijvoorbeeld dat er een paar procent meer zware stormen zouden kunnen voorkomen, maar dat volgens andere modellen het juist minder zwaar zou gaan stormen. Over het algemeen neemt men aan dat het effect klein zal zijn, en eigenlijk zelfs beide kanten op kan.

Dus van een verviervoudiging van het aantal natuurrampen is volgens het IPCC alvast geen sprake.

Groentje-18
17 maart 2008, 22:04
Wat de invloed van de klimaatsverandering op extreem weer betekend daar zijn de meningen verdeeld over. Het laatste IPCC raport zelf doet hier ook erg vaag over, en spreekt bijvoorbeeld dat er een paar procent meer zware stormen zouden kunnen voorkomen, maar dat volgens andere modellen het juist minder zwaar zou gaan stormen. Over het algemeen neemt men aan dat het effect klein zal zijn, en eigenlijk zelfs beide kanten op kan.

Dus van een verviervoudiging van het aantal natuurrampen is volgens het IPCC alvast geen sprake.

Een verandering van de gemiddelde temperatuur zorgt voor een verandering in de frequentie en intensiteit van extreem weer (Eng: extreme weather events).

Sjaax
18 maart 2008, 01:30
Een verandering van de gemiddelde temperatuur zorgt voor een verandering in de frequentie en intensiteit van extreem weer (Eng: extreme weather events).Onder extreem weer versta je een paar stormen extra die zullen optreden?
Als je over droogte begint, dan is het wel zo dat er meer verdamping door klimaatopwarming zal optreden, met als gevolg meer regen. Alleen weten we idd niet waar die regen zal vallen, op 'goeie' plekken of op 'slechte'.

Zwitser
18 maart 2008, 10:44
Een verandering van de gemiddelde temperatuur zorgt voor een verandering in de frequentie en intensiteit van extreem weer (Eng: extreme weather events).

Inderdaad. En als je het IPCC raport er even bij neemt dan zul je zien dat het om veranderingen van een paar procenten gaat. Niks geen verveelvoudiging.

Groentje-18
18 maart 2008, 23:37
Inderdaad. En als je het IPCC raport er even bij neemt dan zul je zien dat het om veranderingen van een paar procenten gaat. Niks geen verveelvoudiging.

Mja, het hangt er natuurlijk vanaf wat die procenten precies zijn hé.
0.03% vermenigvuldigd met een factor 100 wordt 3%, hier dan gaat het ook om enkele procenten...

Ik denk dat er hier wel iets moet over terug te vinden zijn
http://forum.politics.be/showthread.php?t=89951

Zwitser
19 maart 2008, 10:56
http://forum.politics.be/showthread.php?t=89951

Je zegt daar het volgende:

Bovendien zal het aandeel "extreme events" toenemen met een factor van 25 (!) bij een temperatuursttijging van slechts 1.6 graden celsius.

Kan je mij de bron geven van die uitspraak?

Sjaax
20 maart 2008, 00:40
Mja, het hangt er natuurlijk vanaf wat die procenten precies zijn hé.
0.03% vermenigvuldigd met een factor 100 wordt 3%, hier dan gaat het ook om enkele procenten...

http://forum.politics.be/showthread.php?t=89951In het de link http://oceanworld.tamu.edu/resources...ionbalance.htm door jules gegeven, staan wat interessante opmerkingen over de modellen. Er zitten nog een paar(!) onzekerheden in.

The simple picture of the greenhouse mechanism is seriously oversimplified. (…) Another consequence is that one cannot even calculate the temperature of the Earth without models that accurately reproduce the motions of the atmosphere. Indeed, present models have large errors here--on the order of 50 percent. Not surprisingly, those models are unable to calculate correctly either the present average temperature of the Earth or the temperature ranges from the equator to the poles. Rather, the models are adjusted or "tuned'' to get those quantities approximately right.

A major cause of concern is the relative importance of water in clouds and as vapor. Is the cooling by clouds more or less important than the warming by vapor? Water vapor and cloud drops can warm or cool earth's surface through feedback loops.

Groentje-18
25 maart 2008, 23:17
Je zegt daar het volgende:

Kan je mij de bron geven van die uitspraak?

Een voorbeeld:

De hittegolf van het jaar 2003 was een fenomeen met een likelihood van één keer om de 200 jaar.
Dit zal nu evolueren naar 1 keer om de 20. En rond 2050 zelfs één keer om de twee jaar.
In 2080 zullen we zomers met dat soort hittegolven koele zomers vinden.

Pieke
26 maart 2008, 09:10
Een voorbeeld:

De hittegolf van het jaar 2003 was een fenomeen met een likelihood van één keer om de 200 jaar.
Dit zal nu evolueren naar 1 keer om de 20. En rond 2050 zelfs één keer om de twee jaar.

Mag ik je glazen bol eens lenen, ik zou graag eens meedoen met euromillions.

2003 was misschien uitzonderlijk, maar je kan het niet pinnen op Global Warming. Dat heeft Pielke sr al gepubliceerd

Jos Verhulst
26 maart 2008, 10:02
Een voorbeeld:

Ik vrees dat de hittegolf van het jaar 2003 u ernstig in de bovenkamer heeft getroffen.

Groentje-18
26 maart 2008, 14:05
Ik vrees dat de hittegolf van het jaar 2003 u ernstig in de bovenkamer heeft getroffen.

Waarom zoekt u niet eerst iets op voordat u zomaar wat schrijft? :?

By the 2080s, it is predicted that heatwaves will happen in England every year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4780575.stm

Pieke
26 maart 2008, 14:36

echt groentje, dit is wel een hoogtepunt van de dag.

Sinds wanneer staat het vast dat "voorspellingen" op basis van f*king GCMs een wetenschappelijk feit gaan worden, liefst nog in de verre verre toekomst?
Bij mijn weten rekent men voor GCMs een window aan van 30-50 jaar, en over langere periodes wordt de onzekerheid veel te groot. Zelfs jij zou dat moeten weten

Jos Verhulst
26 maart 2008, 15:28
Een voorbeeld:

U gelooft blijkbaar over zo'n preciese kennis te schikken omtrent de toestanden in het jaar 2050, dat u meent te kunnen stellen dat de kans op een hittegolf (in deze contreien, mag ik aannemen) zoals die in 2003 dan op de kop af 1:2 zal zijn. Dus niet: 1:5 of 1:1, maar wel degelijk, zeer precies: 1:2.

Beseft u wel hoe grenzeloos onnozel zo'n bewering is?

Hoe kunt u zoiets weten? Hoe kan iemand zoiets weten?

Er is geen mens die redelijkerwijs over de preciese kans op zo'n hittegolf binnen 42 jaar iets kan zeggen. Voor mijn part kan men computermodellen laten draaien, en daar één of andere brede marge uit destilleren. Dat zou ik nog altijd zeer verdacht en weinig betrouwenswaardig vinden, maar tenminste zou er dan al een begin van rationaliteit voorhanden zijn.

Maar gewoon één preciese kans geven, zonder enig spoor van aarzeling of onzekerheid: daarvoor moet men zoiets als een zonneslag hebben opgelopen. In 2003, bijvoorbeeld.

Groentje-18
26 maart 2008, 15:33
Ik dacht dat u genoeg wetenschappelijke kennis had om de grenzen van zo'n uitspraak zelf te beseffen, zonder dat ik er een hele uiteenzetting over moest geven.
Helaas, dat bleek een ruime overschatting.

Pieke
26 maart 2008, 20:12
Ik dacht dat u genoeg wetenschappelijke kennis had om de grenzen van zo'n uitspraak zelf te beseffen, zonder dat ik er een hele uiteenzetting over moest geven.
Helaas, dat bleek een ruime overschatting.

ik was dus nog te vlug met mijn vorige post. Applaus groentje, applaus