PDA

View Full Version : belgium - Life, the Universe and Everything

hermanvk
17 december 2006, 22:39
Hoe hang dit nu tesamen?
In het kort Douglas Adams (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0010930/) heeft een aantal boeken geschreven, die als een soort vervolg fungeren voor het allereerste boek in een soort van serie: The ultimate Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy.
Dat is ook verfilmd geworden: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0371724/

Wat heeft dit te maken met belgie?
Wel in het boek Life, the Universe and Everything (een van de 5 boeken) komt een stukje voor over ons geliefde vaderland (noteer in het geval je dit niet mocht merken, de sarcastische ondertoon)

Hier is de quote:

....He just won an award at the Annual Ursa Minor Alpha Recreational Illusions Institute Awards ceremony........[snip]......
"Oh," said Arthur, "oh well, I'm sorry I didn't. What was it for?"
"The Most Gratuitous Use of the Word 'belgium' in a Serious Screenplay. It's very prestigious."
"The most gratuitous use of which word?" asked Arthur, with a determined attempt to keep his brain in neutral.
"belgium," said the girl, "I hardly like to say it."
"belgiun?" exclaimed Arthur.
A drunken seven-toed sloth staggered past, gawked at the word and threw itself backward at a blurry-eyed pterodactyl, roaring with displeasure.
"Are we talking," said Arthur, "about the very flat country, with all the EEC and the fog?"
"What?" said the girl.
"belgium," said Arthur.
"Raaaaaarrrchchchchch!" screeched the pterodactyl.
"Grrrruuuuuuuurrrghhhhhh," agreed the seven-toed sloth.
"They must be thinking of Ostend Hoverport," muttered Arthur. He turned back to the girl.
"Have you ever been to belgium in fact?" he asked brightly and she nearly hit him.
"I think," she said, restraining herself, "that you should restrict that sort of remark to something artistic."
"You sound as if I just said something unspeakably rude."
"You did."
Ik heb geprobeerd om deze passage zo accuraat mogelijk over te typen. Alleen het woord 'belgium' heb ik constant met kleine letter geschreven. Hoe zou dat nu toch komen?
Het geeft ook een beetje een idee van de stijl en inhoud van dit boek.
De schrijver heeft een enorme verbeelding.
En dan precies in dat boek vind je verwijzingen naar belgie......