Los bericht bekijken
Oud 12 december 2018, 14:14   #63
Waterglas
Partijlid

Waterglas's schermafbeelding

Standaard

Citaat:
Oorspronkelijk geplaatst door Gipsy Bekijk bericht
China veegt daar toch zijn kloten aan. Van nu af aan is het lot van deze Kovrig gekoppeld aan de dochter Huawei. Indien geen vlugge reactie volgt wel ook nog een Amerikaan die mag brommen.
Meng werd 12 dagen geleden opgepakt op vraag van de VS, maar de VS heeft nog steeds niet om haar uitlevering gevraagd (wat ze binnen de 60 dagen moeten doen, anders komt ze vrij).

En Trump heeft nu aangegeven dat het afhangt van de onderhandelingen met China.

Citaat:
The United States, which asked Canada to detain Meng, has not yet submitted a formal request for extradition. If no formal notice is given within 60 days she will be released. She is due back in court on 6 February.

Speaking to Reuters, Trump said of the case: “If I think it’s good for the country, if I think it’s good for what will be certainly the largest trade deal ever made … I would certainly intervene if I thought it was necessary.”

Trump, who has made sanctions on Iran over its nuclear program a signature part of his foreign policy, was asked whether Meng could be released.

“Well, it’s possible that a lot of different things could happen. It’s also possible it will be a part of negotiations. But we’ll speak to the justice department,” he said.

Asked if he would like to see Meng extradited to the US, Trump said he wanted to first see what the Chinese requested. He added, however, that Huawei’s alleged practices were troubling. “This has been a big problem that we’ve had in so many different ways with so many companies from China and from other places,” he said.

On Tuesday evening Canada’s foreign minister, Chrystia Freeland, acknowledged the “geopolitical complexity radiating from all of this” and said she had assured her Chinese counterparts that all aspects of Meng’s case were “in accordance with the law”.
https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ei-cfo-on-bail
Haar advocaten kunnen de uitspraken van Trump en Freeland aanhalen als bewijs dat het Amerikaanse verzoek politiek gemotiveerd was. Als de rechter daarin meegaat kan ze niet uitgeleverd worden.
Waterglas is offline   Met citaat antwoorden