Los bericht bekijken
Oud 8 november 2017, 19:39   #69
TV-verslaafde
Perm. Vertegenwoordiger VN

TV-verslaafde's schermafbeelding

Standaard

Citaat:
Oorspronkelijk geplaatst door kiko Bekijk bericht
Ok je bent dus officieel aan het zeveren. Kom terug als je nuchter bent.
Ik had nu wel verwacht dat je een scepticus zoals Pyrrho hoger in het vaandel droeg.

Citaat:
And the Pyrrhonists were careful to import an element of doubt even into the most trifling assertions which they might make in the course of their daily life. They did not say, "it is so," but "it seems so," or "it appears so to me." Every observation would be prefixed with a "perhaps," or "it may be."

This absence of certainty applies as much to practical as to theoretical matters. Nothing is in itself true or false. It only appears so. In the same way, nothing is in itself good or evil. It is only opinion, custom, law, which makes it so. When the sage realizes this, he will cease to prefer one course of action to another, and the result will be apathy (ataraxia). All action is the result of preference, and preference is the belief that one thing is better than another. If I go to the north, it is because, for one reason or another, I believe that it is better than going to the south. Suppress this belief, learn that the one is not in reality better than the other, but only appears so, and one would go in no direction at all. Complete suppression of opinion would mean complete suppression of action, and it was at this that Pyrrho aimed.
http://www.iep.utm.edu/pyrrho/
TV-verslaafde is offline   Met citaat antwoorden