Politics.be Registreren kan je hier.
Problemen met registreren of reageren op de berichten?
Een verloren wachtwoord?
Gelieve een mail te zenden naar [email protected] met vermelding van je gebruikersnaam.

Ga terug   Politics.be > Algemeen > Persmededelingen
Registreer FAQForumreglement Ledenlijst

Persmededelingen In dit forum kun je discussiëren over persmededelingen die verschenen zijn op onze portaalsite.
Persmededelingen kunnen ons steeds via dit adres worden toegestuurd.

Antwoord

Discussietools
Oud 25 juli 2012, 15:00   #1
Politics.be
Redactie

Politics.be's schermafbeelding

Standaard Expatica : I've never met a Belgian...

"I've never met a Belgian who told me I couldn't die before visiting his or her homeland. In fact, most of the Belgians I've met since I've moved here have asked why the heck we chose Belgium," Expatica's blogger writes."You're moving where?" It was a common refrain when Andrew and I first found out that we were Belgium-bound.

Most of our friends and family could find where Belgium was situated on a map of Europe, (although a couple of our more 'geographically challenged' friends were surprised by the result of their Google searches), but no one really knew much about the country — including us.
Most North Americans can conjure up mental images of cafes in Paris, ruins in Rome or mountains near Geneva. These images may be accurate or based solely on rumor, misconception or bad Hollywood movies, but they are images nonetheless. Brussels, however, baffled the imaginations of our non-European friends.
There was mention of waffles, chocolate and beer of course, but even Andrew and I were at a loss. It wasn't that we had to dispel pre-conceived notions about Belgium — we just had no notions at all.
Our only impression of Belgium was as "that country we drove through at 100kmh" while touring the rest of Europe on a large bus. You never get a good impression of a place by judging its highway rest-stops.
It seems that wherever you go in the world you run into a Canadian willing to tell you how much better the Ontario side of Niagara Falls is, an American who extols the virtues of driving the California coastline with the top down or an Aussie who informs you that you haven't lived until you've seen the sun set over Sydney harbour.

I've never met a Belgian who told me I couldn't die before visiting his or her homeland. In fact, most of the Belgians I've met since I've moved here have asked why the heck we chose Belgium.

It seems that Belgians are hesitant to promote their country. I think there are two reasons for this.
First, Belgians are buying into the same propaganda that we North Americans get from their European neighbours. The evidence is clear if you look around Belgium in August — there's not a Belgian to be found. You will, however, find them on the beaches of the south of France or in the cafes of Venice. In my experience, there seems to be a lot of Belgians who just haven't explored their own country.
Second, and I think more importantly, Belgians know to keep a good thing secret. If they keep the tourists in Grand Place and Brugge, they have the rest of the country to themselves.
One of the best things about Belgium is its nature and scenery. There are hiking trails everywhere and beautiful views in the most unexpected places. But the true beauty of these places is that you rarely have to share. There are no tour buses in the parking lots and no guides marching through with coloured flags. You can still find places to be totally alone.
For me, there is no greater treat than driving along a new and unexplored stretch of road and coming upon a totally unexpected attraction.
While Andrew and I where driving this past weekend we discovered some wonderful new places that we had never even heard of before. We've vowed to return and visit them again. These places would be hyped with billboards and full colour brochures in other countries, but they go quietly unnoticed here in Belgium.
While I could fill a book with these Belgian gems, I prefer to keep them to myself and the few Belgians who know their secrets. I'll let you find your own.

Cheese Web / Expatica
© Alison Cornford-Matheson

Bron: politics.be
Politics.be is offline   Met citaat antwoorden
Oud 25 juli 2012, 15:07   #2
Txiki
Secretaris-Generaal VN

Txiki's schermafbeelding

Standaard

En was dit nu een persmededeling?
I have a total irreverence for anything connected with society except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer.
Txiki is offline   Met citaat antwoorden
Oud 25 juli 2012, 16:19   #3
Distel
Secretaris-Generaal VN

Distel's schermafbeelding

Standaard

Goh, wat ben ik plots verzot op mijn land. Nu ga ik zeker geen N-VA stemmen hoor. Nee, ik ga mij bezighouden met het verborgen houden van mooie plaatsjes waarvan ik blijkbaar zelf niet eens weet dat ze bestaan omwille van propaganda.
* Er bestaat evenveel bewijs voor het bestaan van god als voor het bestaan van gele ruimtekaboutertjes
Distel is offline   Met citaat antwoorden
Oud 25 juli 2012, 16:19   #4
Xenophon
Secretaris-Generaal VN

Xenophon's schermafbeelding

Standaard

Citaat:
Oorspronkelijk geplaatst door Politics.be Bekijk bericht
"I've never met a Belgian who told me I couldn't die before visiting his or her homeland. In fact, most of the Belgians I've met since I've moved here have asked why the heck we chose Belgium," Expatica's blogger writes."You're moving where?" It was a common refrain when Andrew and I first found out that we were Belgium-bound.

Most of our friends and family could find where Belgium was situated on a map of Europe, (although a couple of our more 'geographically challenged' friends were surprised by the result of their Google searches), but no one really knew much about the country — including us.
Most North Americans can conjure up mental images of cafes in Paris, ruins in Rome or mountains near Geneva. These images may be accurate or based solely on rumor, misconception or bad Hollywood movies, but they are images nonetheless. Brussels, however, baffled the imaginations of our non-European friends.
There was mention of waffles, chocolate and beer of course, but even Andrew and I were at a loss. It wasn't that we had to dispel pre-conceived notions about Belgium — we just had no notions at all.
Our only impression of Belgium was as "that country we drove through at 100kmh" while touring the rest of Europe on a large bus. You never get a good impression of a place by judging its highway rest-stops.
It seems that wherever you go in the world you run into a Canadian willing to tell you how much better the Ontario side of Niagara Falls is, an American who extols the virtues of driving the California coastline with the top down or an Aussie who informs you that you haven't lived until you've seen the sun set over Sydney harbour.

I've never met a Belgian who told me I couldn't die before visiting his or her homeland. In fact, most of the Belgians I've met since I've moved here have asked why the heck we chose Belgium.

It seems that Belgians are hesitant to promote their country. I think there are two reasons for this.
First, Belgians are buying into the same propaganda that we North Americans get from their European neighbours. The evidence is clear if you look around Belgium in August — there's not a Belgian to be found. You will, however, find them on the beaches of the south of France or in the cafes of Venice. In my experience, there seems to be a lot of Belgians who just haven't explored their own country.
Second, and I think more importantly, Belgians know to keep a good thing secret. If they keep the tourists in Grand Place and Brugge, they have the rest of the country to themselves.
One of the best things about Belgium is its nature and scenery. There are hiking trails everywhere and beautiful views in the most unexpected places. But the true beauty of these places is that you rarely have to share. There are no tour buses in the parking lots and no guides marching through with coloured flags. You can still find places to be totally alone.
For me, there is no greater treat than driving along a new and unexplored stretch of road and coming upon a totally unexpected attraction.
While Andrew and I where driving this past weekend we discovered some wonderful new places that we had never even heard of before. We've vowed to return and visit them again. These places would be hyped with billboards and full colour brochures in other countries, but they go quietly unnoticed here in Belgium.
While I could fill a book with these Belgian gems, I prefer to keep them to myself and the few Belgians who know their secrets. I'll let you find your own.

Cheese Web / Expatica

:loadofcrap:
Oud 25 juli 2012, 16:23   #5
kameleon
Minister

Standaard

Ze is hier eens mogen komen zwemmen in mijn zwembad ze, maar best dat ze mijn adres geheim houdt.
Oud 25 juli 2012, 18:07   #6
eno2
Banneling

Standaard

Het pareltje in Belgium waar ik totaal alleen was, zou ik aan niemand verklappen
eno2 is offline   Met citaat antwoorden
Oud 25 juli 2012, 19:12   #7
De Brabander
Minister-President

De Brabander's schermafbeelding

Standaard

Citaat:
Oorspronkelijk geplaatst door Politics.be Bekijk bericht

Cheese Web / Expatica

Oud 25 juli 2012, 19:14   #8
De Brabander
Minister-President

Standaard

Hij wil zeggen dat de Belgen niet beseffen hoe mooi hun land is. En hij heeft gelijk. Het enig probleem is dat de politieke maffia die aan de macht is niets doet om de Belgische cultuur en natuur te promoten. Zo verliezen de Belgen ontzaglijk veel inkomsten aan toerisme...
Oud 25 juli 2012, 19:15   #9
De Brabander
Minister-President

Standaard

Citaat:
Oorspronkelijk geplaatst door Txiki Bekijk bericht
Dit is veel meer dan een persmededeling. Dit is een openbaring. Maar niet geschreven voor flaminganten, dus trek er je maar niks van aan.

Laatst gewijzigd door De Brabander : 25 juli 2012 om 19:16.
De Brabander is offline   Met citaat antwoorden
Oud 25 juli 2012, 23:24   #10
Libro
Secretaris-Generaal VN

Libro's schermafbeelding

Standaard

Citaat:
Oorspronkelijk geplaatst door De Brabander Bekijk bericht
Hij wil zeggen dat de Belgen niet beseffen hoe mooi hun land is. En hij heeft gelijk. Het enig probleem is dat de politieke maffia die aan de macht is niets doet om de Belgische cultuur en natuur te promoten. Zo verliezen de Belgen ontzaglijk veel inkomsten aan toerisme...
Zowat de hoogste belastingdruk ter wereld maar de wegen liggen er rot bij, we worden opgelicht door politici en banken waar we bij staan, de grondwet is een vodje papier enz. enz. maar hola we zijn kampioenen in mosselen maken dus we moeten unitair blijven. Belgen beseffen dat hun land één grote farce is die op sterven na dood is. En daarom begrijpen ze niet als een buitenlander zich hier komt begraven (tenzij als EU-ambtenaar met een dikke wedde).
And I declared I would stop the motor of the world.
Libro is offline   Met citaat antwoorden
Oud 25 juli 2012, 23:26   #11
Libro
Secretaris-Generaal VN

Libro's schermafbeelding

Standaard

Citaat:
Dit is een openbaring.
Belgicisme als nieuwe religie...
Oud 26 juli 2012, 09:21   #12
Bokkenreyder
Perm. Vertegenwoordiger VN

Bokkenreyder's schermafbeelding

Standaard

Citaat:
Oorspronkelijk geplaatst door Libro Bekijk bericht
Zowat de hoogste belastingdruk ter wereld maar de wegen liggen er rot bij, we worden opgelicht door politici en banken waar we bij staan, de grondwet is een vodje papier enz. enz. maar hola we zijn kampioenen in mosselen maken dus we moeten unitair blijven. Belgen beseffen dat hun land één grote farce is die op sterven na dood is. En daarom begrijpen ze niet als een buitenlander zich hier komt begraven (tenzij als EU-ambtenaar met een dikke wedde).
Wat ze zeer zeker is. Wedde met alle extra's van om en bij de 5000 euro / maand netto. Belastingen daarop: 88 euro/maand. Dat is dan het aardsparadijs, natuurlijk!

Citaat:
Oorspronkelijk geplaatst door Supe®Staaf Bekijk bericht
Het (België) lijkt me een territorium van ideale schaalgrootte. ==> Bokkenreyder:
Bokkenreyder is offline   Met citaat antwoorden
Oud 26 juli 2012, 11:06   #13
roger verhiest
Eur. Commissievoorzitter

roger verhiest's schermafbeelding

Standaard

Citaat:
Oorspronkelijk geplaatst door Txiki Bekijk bericht
Och, het is juli, komkommertijd & bovendien is het eens nuttig om het navelgestaar wat te doorbreken en eens "een frisse kijk" te nemen op het landje waar we wonen...

Tempo toleras
sed vero aperas
roger verhiest is offline   Met citaat antwoorden
Oud 26 juli 2012, 11:12   #14
roger verhiest
Eur. Commissievoorzitter

roger verhiest's schermafbeelding

Standaard

Citaat:
Oorspronkelijk geplaatst door Distel Bekijk bericht
Goh, wat ben ik plots verzot op mijn land. Nu ga ik zeker geen N-VA stemmen hoor. Nee, ik ga mij bezighouden met het verborgen houden van mooie plaatsjes waarvan ik blijkbaar zelf niet eens weet dat ze bestaan omwille van propaganda.
Stem gerust in eer en geweten voor de politieke partij van je keuze ; daar gaat dit bericht uit het blaadje van de "Expats" helemaal niet over. Toeristen die
Slovenië, Oostenrijk, Hongarije, Slovakije, Tsjechië, Duitsland, Denemarken, Noorwegen, Finland, Het Verenigd Koninkrijk... (allemaal staten met taaldiversiteit en "minderheidsgroepen) bezoeken zien ook in de eerste plaats niet naar de politieke diversiteit (die we democratie noemen) maar hebben veel andere "point of interest"...

Dat sommigen België als een klein land met een enorme diversiteit aan steden en natuur vinden is eigenlijk niet verwonderlijk (en dat blijft overigens ook zo indien men het in diverse mini-staatjes zou splitsen)

Tempo toleras
sed vero aperas
roger verhiest is offline   Met citaat antwoorden
Oud 26 juli 2012, 12:08   #15
De Brabander
Minister-President

Standaard

Citaat:
Dat komt nu net door uw belachelijk en peperduur taalfederalisme en uw flamingantische partijen, het Blokske inbegrepen.
Oud 26 juli 2012, 12:09   #16
De Brabander
Minister-President

Standaard

Citaat:
Belgicisme als nieuwe religie...
Wie weet. Je zou er wat minder gefrustreerd door kunnen worden. En dat is dan weer goed voor de gezondheid.
Oud 26 juli 2012, 13:21   #17
Libro
Secretaris-Generaal VN

Libro's schermafbeelding

Standaard

Citaat:
Wie weet. Je zou er wat minder gefrustreerd door kunnen worden. En dat is dan weer goed voor de gezondheid.
Interessante nieuwtjes uit België
Oud 26 juli 2012, 13:22   #18
Libro
Secretaris-Generaal VN

Libro's schermafbeelding

Standaard

Citaat:
Dat komt nu net door uw belachelijk en peperduur taalfederalisme en uw flamingantische partijen, het Blokske inbegrepen.
Leer uw vaderlandse geschiedenis en kom dan nog eens discussiëren.
Oud 26 juli 2012, 21:43   #19
Xenophon
Secretaris-Generaal VN

Standaard

Citaat:
Je bent wel redelijk grappig. Als je hier al niet moest zijn, dan hadden ze je moeten uitvinden.
Oud 26 juli 2012, 21:44   #20
Xenophon
Secretaris-Generaal VN

Standaard

Citaat:
Expatica : I've never met a Belgian...
Because they do not exist.
Antwoord

Regels voor berichten
Je mag niet nieuwe discussies starten
Je mag niet reageren op berichten
Je mag niet bijlagen versturen
Je mag niet jouw berichten bewerken

vB-code is Aan
Smileys zijn Aan
[IMG]-code is Aan
HTML-code is Uit
Forumnavigatie

Alle tijden zijn GMT +1. Het is nu 07:02.

Forumsoftware: vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content copyright ©2002 - 2020, Politics.be