Politics.be Registreren kan je hier.
Problemen met registreren of reageren op de berichten?
Een verloren wachtwoord?
Gelieve een mail te zenden naar [email protected] met vermelding van je gebruikersnaam.

Ga terug   Politics.be > Themafora > Mobiliteit & verkeersveiligheid
Registreer FAQForumreglement Ledenlijst Markeer forums als gelezen

Mobiliteit & verkeersveiligheid Een nieuw themaforum!

Antwoord

Discussietools
Oud 2 juni 2019, 18:04   #1
Micele
Secretaris-Generaal VN

Micele's schermafbeelding

Standaard 62 terugroepacties brand na parkeren sinds 2017

Ook na langer parkeren (BMW), witte cijfers, wslk zijn er het veel meer.

Bron abc-news: (ook video vanaf 3 min 15 vind je de tekst)

of
Citaat:
https://abcnews.go.com/US/mysterious...ry?id=60843215

As mysterious BMW fires continue, calls for investigation into possible causes grow

Feb 5, 2019

Despite continued reports of parked BMWs bursting into flames, the government watchdog for automotive safety does not have an active investigation into possible causes.

Consumers have filed more than 90 complaints about the issue to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, including 30 since ABC News first brought the problem to the public's attention, prompting critics to call for a federal probe.

According to Jason Levine, the executive director at the nonprofit Center for Auto Safety, NHTSA is failing in its obligation to protect consumers.

"These BMWs have [had] these fire problems for a very long time," Levine told ABC News. "They've taken a very long time to respond to them. And it doesn't seem that they're getting to the bottom of the problem."

BMW insists that car fires can result from a variety of external reasons "unrelated to product defects." In 2017, a company spokesperson suggested several other potential causes of car fires, including a lack of maintenance, improper maintenance by unauthorized mechanics, aftermarket modifications, rodent nesting and even arson.

"In cases that we have inspected and are able to determine root cause," a BMW spokesperson told ABC News, "we have not seen any pattern related to quality or component failure."

Since ABC News' initial report in 2017, the company has issued four fire-related recalls affecting more than 1 million vehicles across various years and models.

The luxury automaker wasn't the only vehicle producer to take that step. Car manufacturers collectively have issued 62 parked-car-fire-related recalls since 2017. Just last month, for example, Hyundai and Kia recalled 168,000 vehicles for fire risk.

But while U.S. regulators have declined to investigate, BMW has faced scrutiny elsewhere. The company was recently fined $9.9 million by the South Korean government after its transport ministry determined officials had tried to cover up technical problems related to dozens of engine fires in diesel cars and moved too slowly to recall affected vehicles.

"I think what is particularly scary is that there's no [U.S.] watchdog out there that BMW is afraid of," Levine told ABC News. "The only thing literally keeping BMW's feet to the fire, forgive the pun, is going to be outside lawsuits. That's not how it should work."

In response to questions from ABC News, a NHTSA spokesperson said the agency is "in close contact with BMW in its oversight of automaker's recalls that involve a potential fire risk, and will take appropriate action if warranted."

Representatives for BMW have declined repeated requests for interviews, but the company has issued statements saying that "with approximately 4.9 million BMW vehicles on U.S. roads, fire incidents involving BMWs are very rare. ... BMW takes every incident very seriously."

ABC News and ABC-owned stations around the country have independently confirmed more than 50 reports of fires in parked BMWs that were not the subject of a fire-related recall at the time of the incident. Some of those owners have filed complaints to NHTSA, while others have not.

In October 2017, Laura Ohme said she and her two sons, Max and Eli, were forced to flee their San Diego, California, home when her 2014 BMW X5 ignited while it was parked and turned off in her garage.

"The explosion blew out [the] garage door," Ohme told ABC News. "Anyone really walking down the street could have been hit."

The family escaped unharmed, but the resulting fire destroyed their home. Fire investigators were able to pinpoint her recently purchased BMW as the source of the blaze.

"We're not the only family that has lost everything because of a BMW car fire," Ohme said. "Fix the problem."

Virginia Chamlee's said her 2005 BMW X5 ignited as it was parked and turned off in her driveway in Jacksonville, Florida, in July 2018. She reported the fire to BMW immediately but she said the company never came to inspect it.

"The woman I spoke with suggested that either I drove the car too much or I drove the car too little," Chamlee told ABC News. "I left the conversation feeling like nothing was going to get done."

And when Lynn Wrench received a recall notice for her 2011 BMW 328i xDrive in 2017, it arrived with a confusing caveat: "Remedy Unavailable." She said she called the company and spoke to a representative.

"He said they didn't have a solution yet," Wrench told ABC News. "And that would notify me when they did."

But more than six months later, while she was still waiting for a fix, her car ignited, she said, while it was parked and turned off in her hometown of Colgate, Wisconsin. Although the vehicle was unsalvageable, BMW only offered Wrench a $3,000 rebate on a new or pre-owned BMW, reimbursement for a rental car and an additional $1,500 settlement -- a deal that came with one major stipulation.

"They wanted me to sign a non-disclosure agreement, so I would't even be able to talk with you about this. Or anybody," Wrench said. "Why would I do that?"

Wrench isn't the only BMW owner who received a recall notice bearing the words "Remedy Unavailable."

James McManus of Temple, Texas received a recall notice for his 2011 BMW 550i in June 2018, advising him that the company was "not ready to perform this recall on your vehicle," but "BMW recommends parking your vehicle outdoors until repairs have been performed."

It was too late. His BMW had already ignited while he said it was parked and turned off in his garage two years prior, damaging his home and forcing him and his then-pregnant wife to relocate during repairs.

BMW said it was "out of abundance of caution" that it made that recommendation and insisted that the company "worked diligently to secure an adequate supply of parts so that affected vehicle can be fixed as quickly as possible."

(..... )

Laura Ohme's San Diego home was destroyed by a fire after her 2014 BMW X5 ignited while she says it was sitting parked and turned off in her garage.
Huisje brand zo...

Laatst gewijzigd door Micele : 2 juni 2019 om 18:16.
Micele is offline   Met citaat antwoorden
Antwoord

Discussietools

Regels voor berichten
Je mag niet nieuwe discussies starten
Je mag niet reageren op berichten
Je mag niet bijlagen versturen
Je mag niet jouw berichten bewerken

vB-code is Aan
Smileys zijn Aan
[IMG]-code is Aan
HTML-code is Uit
Forumnavigatie

Alle tijden zijn GMT +1. Het is nu 16:47.

Forumsoftware: vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content copyright ©2002 - 2020, Politics.be